The Departments of Mechanical Engineering offers M.Sc. (Engg.) by Research, which is a minimum of 3-year program.
The department has a state-of-the-art R & D center recognized by VTU.
It is empowered by guides with rich industrial & academic experience.
The thrust areas of research majorly focus on Computational Fluid Dynamics, Metal Matrix Composites, Materials Engineering, Tribology, Mechanical Vibrations, Design and Materials Engineering.
Admission to the M.Sc. (Engg.) by Research Course shall be opened to candidates who satisfy any of the following requirements:
Candidates who have passed B.E. / B.Tech. Examination of VTU or B.E. / B.Tech. of any other recognized University, recognized by this University as equivalent thereto or any other examination recognized by this University as equivalent thereto and have passed the prescribed qualifying examination with not less than 60% of the marks in the aggregate, in the examinations of the semesters considered for the declaration of class/grade. However, a relaxation to the extent of 10% shall be allowed for candidates belonging to SC/ST and any other category as notified by Government of Karnataka from time to time;
Teaching / Research Staff / Teaching Assistants, working in any Engineering College and Polytechnic Institutions recognized by AICTE either in the State of Karnataka or outside, who have passed B.E / B.Tech. Examination and put in a minimum of one year of teaching experience in Engineering Colleges / Research Organizations and sponsored by the respective Institutions / DTE in case of aided institutions.
Employees of the State Government/Central Government/Quasi Government Organizations/Public Sector Industries/Reputed Private Industries, who have passed B.E./B.Tech. Examination and put in a minimum of one year of working experience and are sponsored by the concerned Organizations;
Awardees of research fellowship by nationally recognized bodies like CSIR etc., provided they have B.E. / B.Tech. Examination and put in a minimum of one year of working experience;
NRI/FN/PIOs who have passed the B.E. / B.Tech. or equivalent examination recognized by VTU as equivalent to UG Engineering Degree program, with medium of instruction in English or qualified TOFEL/ELTS. Such candidates shall be able to communicate and to submit the synopsis of Dissertation work in English language.
In addition to the above, the candidates shall be qualified in GATE or equivalent National Level entrance exam within the immediately preceding five years or in the University level Research Aptitude Test, the result of which shall be valid for a three-year period.
Candidates possessing Master’s Degree in Mechanical by Research have vast opportunities in various fields such as Teaching domains, Research Labs, Power sector, automobile sector and aerospace industry. Those who choose their profession in teaching field, may further go for research work by pursuing Doctor of Philosophy degree in Mechanical Engineering.
Why BNMIT for this course ?
1. Ultra model Center of Excellence which is recognized as a Pilot Center of Excellence by Toyota Kirloskar Motors Ltd. for training hands on with Toyota Engines
2. The Department provides an opportunity and industry exposure to the students convert their ideas and projects into Entrepreneurs /Startups
3. The Department strives for continuous improvement in Teaching-learning process. The Department has been accredited by NBA for academic year 2018-19 to 2020-21 and NAAC with A grade
4. Skill Development Programme is conducted by the department to complement student’s knowledge and skills in their core area, as per industry requirement to develop professional and futuristic skills
5. Mechanical Engineering Department comprises the state-of-art-laboratories, digital class room and seminar hall that are well equipped with most sophisticated instruments for better teaching learning process
6. Collaborated with many institutions of national importance, research organizations and foreign universities for faculty and student exchange programmes and internships.
7. Virtual lab established in department to enthuse students to conduct experiments by rousing their curiosity that would help them in learning basic and advanced concepts through remote experimentation
8. Scheme of providing monetary assistance to tune of 2.5 lakhs by New-Gen IEDC funded by GOI for student projects
9. Unique Innovative Project Lab (IPL) to nurture the budding engineers. Students are at liberty to conceptualize, design and implement solutions to societal problems with concerns for environment. Selected projects are converted into product prototypes under the guidance of ED cell.
|Sl.No||Guide||Designation||Research Area of Expertise|
|1||Dr. B. S. Anil Kumar||Professor||Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)|
|2||Dr. D. Shivalingappa||Professor||Materials Engineering, Tribology, Mechanical Vibrations.|
|3||Dr. P. L. Srinivasa Murthy||Professor||Design and Materials Engineering|
How To Apply ?
The candidate shall submit his / her application for registration to the University in the prescribed form along with other necessary documents viz., degree certificate, marks cards of all examinations, employer’s certificate and no objection certificate from the employer, consent of the guide, through the Head of the Institution, where the candidate intends to do research.
The Head of the Institution shall forward the application of the candidate along with the Bio-Data of the Guide, his/ her degree certificate and the list of Research publications to the University. In case of employed candidates, no objection certificate from the employers for pursuing research shall be necessary.