Ph.D Full time 3 years
Part Time 4 years
The Departments of Mechanical Engineering offers Ph.D. Programme as Full-Time as well as Part-Time.
The Department has an R & D centre recognized by VTU.
It is empowered by guides with rich academic experience.
The thrust areas of research majorly focus on Computational Fluid Dynamics, Metal Matrix Composites, Materials Engineering, Tribology, Mechanical Vibrations, Design and Materials Engineering.
VTU will call notification once in a year, candidate need to clear the entrance test to select the topic and research supervisor
There shall be provision for the following categories of candidates for admission to Ph.D.:
- Full-Time: Candidates to pursue Ph.D. research on full time basis shall also include QIP/FIP scholars and those belonging to Integrated Degree program such as M.Sc.(Engg.) by Research/(Full-Time) M.Tech.
- Part-Time: In-service candidates having a minimum professional experience of one year after their PG Degree from among the regular faculty members working in any Engineering College /Polytechnic / University / Deemed to be University (recognized /accredited by appropriate bodies in India) or research staff of public / private organizations shall be eligible to pursue Ph.D. research on a part time basis
- Integrated Degree: Students registered for M.Sc.(Engg.) by Research (Full- Time) /M.Tech. /M.Arch, may be allowed to upgrade to Ph.D. as applicable on case by case basis.
Academia has always been a favorite choice of Ph.Ds. It is also possible for Ph.D. holders to pursue academic job opportunities in other countries also.
Conventionally, the most preferred jobs for Ph.Ds. have been industrial R&D Labs, university positions, and start-ups. Industrial R&D facilities typically hire Ph.D. holders to engage in research, design new products, and also take part in long term strategy decisions. Along with exclusive R&D labs, a lot of development centers hire Ph.Ds. For comparatively senior positions.
Another interesting job prospect for Ph.D. holders is in consulting industries where they are hired as analysts, consultants, and auditors.
Why BNMIT for this course ?
1. Ultra model Center of Excellence which is recognized as a Pilot Center of Excellence by Toyota Kirloskar Motors Ltd. for training hands on with Toyota Engines
2. The Department provides an opportunity and industry exposure to the students convert their ideas and projects into Entrepreneurs /Startups
3. The Department strives for continuous improvement in Teaching-learning process. The Department has been accredited by NBA for academic year 2018-19 to 2020-21 and NAAC with A grade
4. Skill Development Programme is conducted by the department to complement student’s knowledge and skills in their core area, as per industry requirement to develop professional and futuristic skills
5. Mechanical Engineering Department comprises the state-of-art-laboratories, digital class room and seminar hall that are well equipped with most sophisticated instruments for better teaching learning process
6. Collaborated with many institutions of national importance, research organizations and foreign universities for faculty and student exchange programmes and internships.
7. Virtual lab established in department to enthuse students to conduct experiments by rousing their curiosity that would help them in learning basic and advanced concepts through remote experimentation
8. Scheme of providing monetary assistance to tune of 2.5 lakhs by New-Gen IEDC funded by GOI for student projects
9. Unique Innovative Project Lab (IPL) to nurture the budding engineers. Students are at liberty to conceptualize, design and implement solutions to societal problems with concerns for environment. Selected projects are converted into product prototypes under the guidance of ED cell.
|Sl.No||Guide||Designation||Research Area of Expertise|
|1||Dr. B. S. Anil Kumar||Professor||Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)|
|2||Dr. D. Shivalingappa||Professor||Materials Engineering, Tribology, Mechanical Vibrations.|
|3||Dr. P. L. Srinivasa Murthy||Professor||Design and Materials Engineering|
How To Apply ?
The University shall call for Applications for registration usually in the months of January and July of every year. Ph.D. Registration Committee shall meet in the months of February and August of every year to consider applications of the candidates for registration and the eligibility and recognitions of the Guides.
The candidate shall submit his / her application for registration to the University in the prescribed form along with other necessary documents viz., degree certificate, marks cards of all examinations, employers’ certificate and no objection certificate from the employer, consent of the Guide, through the Head of the Institution where the candidate intends to do research.
The Head of the Institution shall forward the application of the candidate along with the Bio-Data of the Guide, his/ her degree certificate and list of Research publications to the University. In case of employed candidates, no objection certificate from the employers for pursuing research shall be necessary.