The Computer Science and Engineering department was established in the institution during the year 2001, with an intake of 60 with a current intake of 120. The department offers B.E in CSE, M.Tech in CSE and Ph.D programs. The department presents an unique opportunity to study the exhilarating field. Computers are the most flexible and powerful machines ever created. While the field of computing constantly grows and changes, the core magic of CSE remains timeless. CSE is a broad field, and courses cover a wide range of subjects. Students start with the basics in popular introductory programming courses, they learn the mathematical foundations of computing; get hands-on experience building software and hardware; and choose advanced courses such as artificial intelligence, machine learning, computer networking, computer security and much more. The course structure is in line with latest advances in technology which equip the students with the latest developments in Computer Science and Engineering. Objective is to empower students with latest technical knowledge and skills to meet global challenges and to provide best teaching faculty, state-of-the-art technologies, excellent research and development environment with highly qualified, trained and dedicated teachers who are responsible for the overall academic growth, the department excels in the teaching-learning methodology and has a good academic track record. The Department of CSE is striving hard towards the goal of providing innovative and quality education with high standard to achieve academic excellence and provides platform for the students to achieve their career goals.
A well equipped Research & Development (R&D) Center, affiliated to VTU has been set to cater to the needs of the research scholars to conduct cutting edge research towards doctoral degree.
Teaching learning process is well defined in the Department to make bright students explore the trending technology via Skill Development Programmes (SDPs) organized by the Industry Institute Interaction and slow learners are encouraged to perform better in University exams through Performance Enhancement (PE) classes.
R&D in the Department is a pursuit of encouragement to faculty and students to think, model and design innovative ideas. This is facilitated through Innovative Project Labs (IPL) and funding support through Innovation & Entrepreneurship Development Cell (IEDC) for prototyping the ideas by students. Faculties are encouraged with financial support to attend workshops, FDPs, and Conferences in order to identify the thrust areas and support students in their learning process. Additional facilities like MoU’s have been signed with Kanektify Academy, Old Dominion University (USA) and Metamor Technologies for the overall development of the students.
- Number of Teaching Staff: 31 (Prof: 03; Associate Prof: 05; Assistant Prof: 23)
- Number of PhDs: 7
- Number of Staff Pursuing PhD: 9
- Average Experience of Staff : 12 Years
- Staff with Industry Experience : 08
- Technical & Supporting Staff: 16
First Class with Distinction (FCD) Upshots:
Total Number of Students Secured First Class with Distinction in the Last 6-Year.
|Academic Year||Semester||Total No. of Students Felicitated for FCD|
|2018 – 2019 (Even)||8th Semester||126|
|M.Tech 4th Semester||11|
|2018 – 2019 (Odd)||7th Semester||88|
|M.Tech 1st Semester||4|
|2017 – 2018 (Even)||8th Semester||98|
|M.Tech 2nd Semester||01|
|2017 – 2018 (Odd)||7th Semester||36|
|M.Tech 1st Semester||02|
|2016 – 2017 (Even)||8th Semester||80|
|2015 – 2016 (Odd)||7th Semester||45|
|2015 – 2016 (Even)||8th Semester||92|
|2014-15 (Odd)||7th Semester||50|
|2014-15 (Even)||8th Semester||95|
|2013-14 (Even)||8th Semester||96|
Innovative Teaching Methodologies:
The Department has adapted Innovative Teaching Methodologies to emphasis better understanding of the concepts and Technology. Based on the courses offered, an appropriate teaching methodology is followed by the course teacher. The teaching methodologies adapted in the Department are:
Think-pair-share (TPS) is a Collaborative Learning Strategy where students work together to solve a problem or answer a question about an assigned reading. This strategy requires students to think individually about a topic or answer to a question, share ideas with classmates. Discussing with a partner, maximizes participation, focuses attention and engages students in comprehending the reading material.
Quizzes are interactive platforms where students participate to gain knowledge, seek opportunities to excel beyond academics and be future ready.
- Quizzes adds a new dimension to studies
- Promotes preparation
- Serves the purpose of a brief assessment to gauge the abilities and knowledge of students
- Designed to enhance student attention and their participation
Flipped Class Room
Flipped classroom ensures that class time is spent in assimilation, rather than in information transmission.
- The course faculty shares videos on topic with students before the class
- Students are instructed to watch before coming to class
- Class time will be spent in related activities and discussions on the topic
Group discussion on a topic plays a vital role in better understanding of the concepts. It involves sharing of learning by the participant(s) which equally benefits all other students/participants.
- Helps in generating more ideas on a topic
- Boosts self-confidence
- Improves communication, presentation and listening skills
- Encourages dialogue between and among the students
- Provides an opportunity to master the language
- Stimulates discussion among students – The question/activity may elicit multiple conceptions leading to a healthy discussions.
- Plausibility of Choices – All the choices given in PI are plausible and target the misconceptions of students.
- Students are instructed to see all 4 choices, and show the answer (choice) written on a sheet and display to instructor, a polling is conducted and moderated discussion is encouraged.
Posters are the tools that enable visualization in the classroom to foster student learning. Posters are often created by students to visually display a particular concept, significant project, or a research topic in order to provide an opportunity to pair visual learning with textbook reading, lecture, and traditional assignment writing. It is an effective way to catch hold of the attention of students as well as maintain their interest in the subject.
At the beginning of each semester, the students are given with a problem statement with respect to the course by the course teacher. In each internal assessment test the students are informed to follow the stages of software development life cycle to develop a solution/framework for the given problem statement.
Open Ended Questions
In order to provide practical exposure about a concept/topic, students are given open ended questions in each internal assessment test. The open ended questions will be either application-oriented question or a case study.
Open Book Test
Open book test is a tool to examine the ability of a student to quickly find relevant information and then to understand, analyze, apply knowledge and think critically. They also test the ability to find and use information for problem solving, and to deliver well-structured and well-presented arguments and solutions.
National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL)
NPTEL is a curriculum building exercise and is directed towards providing learning materials in Science and Engineering by adhering to the syllabus of All India Council for Technical Education and the slightly modified curricula of major affiliating Universities. NPTEL Videos are great videos for learning a subject. They have been made by the best teachers in India, and are very detailed.
Massive Open Online Courses (MOOC)
MOOC (Massive Open Online Courses) is a new paradigm of education for anyone, anywhere, anytime. It came up with numerous opportunities both for students as well as teachers. MOOC creates the opportunity for sharing ideas & knowledge and also helps improving lifelong learning skills by providing easy access to global resources. It enhances active learning. It improves cross cultural relationships which leads to collaboration between institution educators and learners locally and internationally.
TedEd: TED-Ed is a platform, which allows teachers to take TED Talk, TED-Ed Lesson or educational video and easily create a lesson plan of customized questions and discussions. Users can then distribute these lessons, publicly or privately, and track their impact on the world, a class or an individual student. It aims to spark and celebrate the ideas and knowledge-sharing of teachers and students around the world.
Easyclass.com-Easy class is a free learning management system, which allows storing assignments, notes, videos, and also to conduct a test. Used it to conduct quizzes for first-year students.
WordPress: Wordpress is a free and open-source content management system that helps to create the website. Using Wordpress created a website to post the class materials for first-year students.
Kahoot: It is a interesting online quiz conduction tool which has animations to keep the students in the interested and easy to use since all of us (Quiz master and students) can login using our smartphones.
Google sites: Google Sites is a great tool for creating webpages. Google Sites brings together all of the other great Google services in that it allows users to embed Google Docs, Calendar, YouTube, Picasa albums, and much more. Google sites are used to develop a website to share study materials to students.
Flubaroo: Flubaroo is a free tool and it’s a Google Spreadsheets Add-on that helps educators quickly grade and analyze online assignments and assessments, as well as share scores with students.
- The Department aims at delivering top notch education and has faculty members who blend their rich research experience with classroom teaching. Faculty members have undertaken research in the thrust areas of Computer Science and Engineering.
- The Department has state-of-the-art infrastructure and computing facilities with an emphasis on fostering practical learning. The recently added Internet of Things Laboratory stands as an epitome of this, providing the students an opportunity to improve their practical knowledge in emerging technologies.
- The Department maintains good collaboration between the industry and the Institute and has signed MoU’s with various companies including Metamor Technologies, Kanektify a learning arm of Neovegam Technologies, USA etc,
- Equal importance is given to the personal development of the students along with their professional growth through programmes like T5, TW5, WP5. Innovative Project Labs (IPL) is a platform set in the Department for students to showcase their innovative ideas and problem solving skills.