- The Departments of Electrical and Electronics Engineering Offers M.Sc. (Engg.) by Research, which is a minimum of 3-year program.
- The department has a state-of-the-art R & D center recognized by VTU.
- Since its inception, the center has a good number of research scholars and guides conducting research activities. Postgraduate students are encouraged to do quality research works suggested by guides.
- It is empowered by guides with rich industrial & academic experience.
- The thrust areas of research majorly focuses on power systems, power quality, power electronics, high voltage engineering and digital control for low power applications .
Ph.D. Guides in the department:
|Sl.No.||Name of Faculty||Area of Research|
|1||Dr. R V Parimala||Power systems Engineering, Applications of AI to power systems|
|2||Dr. V Muralidhara||High Voltage Engineering|
|3||Dr. Venkatesha K||Power Quality and Power Electronics|
|4||Dr.Sudalai Shunmugan||High Voltage Engineering and Power Engineering|
|5||Dr. Priyashree S||Power quality and Power electronics|
Students who Received M.Sc. (Engg.) Degree from the Research Center:
|Sl.No.||Name of Faculty||Guide Name||Research Topic|
|1||Bindiya Tyagi||Dr.Vidya H A||Insulation Engineering|
|2||A Kumar||Dr. Gurumurthy||Automatic Power Factor Improvement for Minimization of Losses|
Eligibility for registration to M.Sc. (Engg.) by research
Admission to the M.Sc. (Engg.) by Research Course shall be opened to candidates who satisfy any of the following requirements:
- Candidates who have passed B.E. / B.Tech. Examination of VTU or B.E. / B.Tech. of any other recognized University, recognized by this University as equivalent thereto or any other examination recognized by this University as equivalent thereto and have passed the prescribed qualifying examination with not less than 60% of the marks in the aggregate, in the examinations of the semesters considered for the declaration of class/grade. However, a relaxation to the extent of 10% shall be allowed for candidates belonging to SC/ST and any other category as notified by Government of Karnataka from time to time;
- Teaching / Research Staff / Teaching Assistants, working in any Engineering College and Polytechnic Institutions recognised by AICTE either in the State of Karnataka or outside, who have passed B.E / B.Tech. Examination and put in a minimum of one year of teaching experience in Engineering Colleges / Research Organizations and sponsored by the respective Institutions / DTE in case of aided institutions;
- Employees of the State Government/Central Government/Quasi Government Organizations/Public Sector Industries/Reputed Private Industries, who have passed B.E./B.Tech. Examination and put in a minimum of one year of working experience and are sponsored by the concerned Organizations;
- Awardees of research fellowship by nationally recognised bodies like CSIR etc., provided they have B.E. / B.Tech. Examination and put in a minimum of one year of working experience;
- NRI/FN/PIOs who have passed the B.E. / B.Tech. or equivalent examination recognised by VTU as equivalent to UG Engineering Degree Programme, with medium of instruction in English or qualified TOFEL/ELTS. Such candidates shall be able to communicate and to submit the synopsis of Dissertation work in English language.
In addition to the above, the candidates shall be qualified in GATE or equivalent National Level entrance exam within the immediately preceding five years or in the University level Research Aptitude Test, the result of which shall be valid for a three-year period.
Career Opportunities after M.Sc. (Engg) by Research
Candidates possessing Master’s Degree in Electrical by Research have vast opportunities in various domains such as Power System Engineering, Power Electronics Technologies, Renewable Energy Sources, Electric Vehicle Technology, and Teaching domains. Those who choose their profession in teaching field, may further go for research work by pursuing Doctor of Philosophy degree in Electrical Engineering.
Why BNMIT for this course ?
- The Department provides state-of-the-art facilities like well-stocked libraries, laboratories with all technical equipment, and computer systems and research center with required hardware & software facilities for pursuing research work.
- Library of the college & department has a collection of books, magazines, journals, e-Journals and other useful databases. Facilities for internet browsing and e-services are also available in the library for the convenience of students.
- The faculty members/guides of the Department have expertise in their respective areas and are ready to share new knowledge and experience to each student so that they can make their future bright.
|Sl. No||Course Code||Course Name|
|1||16EPS12/16EPE23||Modelling and Analysis of Electrical Machines|
|2||16EPS13||Power System Dynamics (Stability and Control)|
|3||16EPS14||Computer Relaying for Power Systems|
|4||16EPE12/16ECD12||Power Semiconductor Devices and Components|
|5||16EPE22||Switched – Mode Power Supplies|
|6||16ESE12||Energy Resources and the Environmental Impacts|
|7||16ESE151||Solar Energy Technologies|
|8||16ESE154||Energy Pricing – Economics and Principles|
|10||16ESE421||Solar Hydrogen Energy Systems|
|11||16EMS12||Analysis of Linear Systems|
|12||16EMS152||Process Control and Instrumentation|
|14||16EMS21||Industrial Control Technology – 1|
|15||16EMS41||Industrial Control Technology – 2|
|Sl. No||Course Code||Course Name|
|1||16EPS21/16EPE13/16ECD13||Power Electronic Converters|
|2||16EPS421||Power System Reliability|
|3||16EPE14/16ECD24||Modelling and Design of Controllers|
|4||16EPE252||Uninterruptible Power Supply|
|5||16EPE254/16ECD23||Hybrid Electric Vehicles|
|6||16ESE13||Energy Production, Conversion and Conservation|
|8||16ESE21||Power System Operation|
|9||16ESE251||Wind Energy Systems|
|10||16ESE422||Energy Management Strategies for EV/PHEV|
|12||16ESE424||High-Power Battery Technologies|
|13||16EMS22||Optimal Control Theory|
|14||16EMS422||Digital System Design with FPGA|
|Sl.No.||Course Code||Course Name|
|1||16EPS422||Wide Area Measurements and their Applications|
|2||16EPE154/16ECD154||EMC in Power Electronics|
|3||16EPE424||Multilevel Converters for Industrial Applications|
|4||16EPE251||Converters for Solar and Wind Power Systems|
|5||16ESE14||Energy Conversion Technologies|
|6||16ESE153||Introduction to Nuclear Power|
|7||16ESE253||Carbon Capture and Storage|
|8||16ESE423||Energy Storage in Power Grids|
|10||16EMS153||Control Systems for HVAC|
|11||16EMS154||Nanotechnology for Microelectronics and Optoelectronics|
|Sl No||Course Code||Course Name|
|1||16EPS251||Restructured Power Systems|
|2||16EPS254||Substation Automation Systems|
|3||16EPS424||Integration of Renewable Energy|
|5||16ECD14||AC and DC Drives – 1|
|6||16ECD21||AC and DC Drives – 2|
|7||16ECD252||Electric Drive Design|
|8||16ECD423||Sensorless AC Motor Control|
|9||16ESE22||Integration of Distributed Generation|
|10||16EMS23||High Speed VLSI Design|
|11||16EMS252||Robust Control Theory|
|12||16EMS424||Reset Control Systems|
|13||16EMS421||Industrial control: Software and Routines|
|14||16EPS151||EHV AC Transmission.|
|Sl. No.||Course Code||Course Name|
|1||16EPS152/16EPE152/16E||Power System Harmonics|
|2||16EPS154||Power System Voltage Stability|
|3||16EPS22||Insulators for Power System|
|4||16EPS23||Switching in Power Systems|
|6||16EPE422||MPPT in Solar Systems|
|7||16EPE153/16ECD153||Advanced Control Systems|
|8||16ECD151||Special Electrical Machines|
|9||16ECD22||DSP Applications to Drives|
|10||16ECD253||Vector Control of Three-Phase AC Machines|
|11||16ECD424||Sneak Circuits in Converters|
|12||16ESE23||Industrial Energy and Management|
|13||16EMS24||CAD Tools For VLSI Design|
|14||16EMS253||Digital System Design with VHDL|
|Sl. No.||Course Code||Course Name|
|1||16EPS153||Linear and Nonlinear Optimization|
|3||16EPS253/16EPE253/16ECD251||Power Quality Problems and Mitigation|
|4||16EPS41/16EPE41||HVDC Power Transmission|
|5||16EPS423/16EPE423||Multi-Terminal DC Grids|
|7||16EPE421/16ECD422||Digital Power Electronics|
|8||16ECD254||Automatic Control and Power Electronics|
|9||16ECD41||Predictive Control of Drives|
|10||16ECD421||AC drives with inverter Output Filters|
|11||16ESE24||Power System Planning|
|12||16EMS251||Low Power VLSI Design|
|13||16EMS254||Real Time Approach to Process Control|
How to Apply ?
The candidate shall submit his / her application for registration to the University in the prescribed form along with other necessary documents viz., degree certificate, marks cards of all examinations, employers’ certificate and no objection certificate from the employer, consent of the Guide, through the Head of the Institution where the candidate intends to do research.
The Head of the Institution shall forward the application of the candidate along with the Bio-Data of the Guide, his/ her degree certificate and list of Research publications to the University. In case of employed candidates, no objection certificate from the employers for pursuing research shall be necessary.