M. Tech in VLSI Design and Embedded systems-ECE
Post Graduate Program
Master of Technology (M.Tech) in VLSI Design and Embedded Systems is a 2-year full-time postgraduate program, recognized by All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and offered by the Visvesvaraya Technological University.
M. Tech in VLSI Design and Embedded Systems is comprised of Theory, Laboratory, Technical Seminar, Internship and Project. The theory subjects are appropriate to suit the current core industry needs, starting from fundamental of MOSFETs, Analog and Mixed Mode VLSI design to ASIC circuit design and system on chip design. Students develop assembly language and embedded ‘C’ coding to explore ARM- Cortex M4 with the support of Keil uVision for different applications such as buzzer, temperature sensor, LCD display, stepper motor etc.
Program: Full Time
Duration: 2 Years
Master of Technology (M.Tech) in VLSI Design and Embedded Systems is a two-year full-time postgraduate program recognized by All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE).
- Analyze, design and implement solutions in VLSI design and embedded systems and adapt to changes in technology by self/continuous learning.
- Engage in higher learning and contribute to technological innovations.
- Work with professional ethics as an individual or as a team player to realize the goals of the project or the organization.
- Work with respect for societal values and concern for environment in implementing engineering solutions.
The Program outcomes for the M. Tech are as follows:
- An ability to independently carry out research /investigation and development work to solve practical problems
- An ability to write and present a substantial technical report/document
- Students should be able to demonstrate a degree of mastery in VLSI Design and Embedded system domain. The mastery should be at a level higher than the requirements in the appropriate bachelor program.
As per VTU rules
A candidate who has passed qualifying examination or equivalent examination(GATE.PGCET) as prescribed by the Competent Authority and obtained an aggregate minimum of 50% marks,taken together in all the subjects of all the years/semesters of the Degree Examination is eligible for admission to M.Tech courses (45% of marks in Q. E. in case of SC, ST and Category-I candidates. Reservation is applicable only for Karnataka Candidates).
The candidates from the following branches are eligible to take M.Tech[VLSI Design and Embedded Systems]
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering/ Telecommunication engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering/Instrumentation Engineering
- Medical Electronics Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
The candidates who have successfully completed this course will be able to take up the jobs such as Design Engineer, Verification Engineer, Test Engineer, Analog Designer, Physical Design Verification Engineer, Static Timing Analyzer, Developer Embedded, Test Engineer Embedded, Embedded C Developer, Principal SW Development Engineer, Assistant engineer, System Analyst, Embedded OS Developer, etc. in Core Electronics Companies.
Why BNMIT for this course ?
The Course M.Tech [VLSI Design and Embedded System] is offered by department of Electronics and Communication Engineering since 2010. There are 10 Doctorates and 15 senior faculty who are having rich experience in industry, research, and academics. They will be able to fulfill the needs of the VLSI and Embedded aspirants. The candidates will get the proper guidance from the industry experts to do their projects, since the industry expert is also associated as adjunct faculty and will have direct interaction with the candidates. The Training and Placement department provides the necessary skill set, which helps them to join the core industry.
The Department has well established laboratories and a research centre with hardware and software facilities for the student. Library of the college & department has a collection of books, magazines, journals, e-Journals and other useful databases. Facilities for internet browsing and e-services are also available in the library for the convenience of students.
This course is best suited for candidates who are interested in circuits, circuit design, and as the name suggests, very large-scale integration circuits. This is an integrated circuit system which is less than 50-year old in its development and hence is an ever-evolving field of technology, with newer circuit designs being envisioned and executed every day. This field of study has emerged from a Material Science and Electrical Engineering. This field can be quite challenging as it requires candidates to not just be proficient in their skills but also have a urge for research and innovation in order to research existing physical devices and design new circuit designs which might be more efficient. The course is spread over the four semesters, the details of the curriculum is given as follows:
|Advanced Engineering Maths
|Advanced Embedded System
|Digital VLSI Design
|VLSI and ES Lab -1
|Research Methodology and IPR
|Design of Analog and Mixed mode VLSI
|Real Time Operating System
|Professional Elective 1
|Professional Elective 2
|VLSI & ES Lab-2
|CAD of Digital Systems
|Professional Elective 3
|Professional Elective 4
|Evaluation of Project Phase -1
|Project Work Phase -2
How to Apply ?
• A score in the Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineering (GATE) is the primary criterion, in addition to the common entrance test, conducted by the state agency (KEA) ie PGCET for admission to PG programs. GATE/PGCET (KEA) entrance examination quota (only for Karnataka students) is 80% and Management Quota is 20%. The minimum percentage in eligibility examination for admission in PG programs is 50% in case of GM and 45% in case of SC/ST.