Ph.D and M.Sc (Engg)
Ph.D Full time 3 years
Ph.D Part Time 4 years
M.Sc(Engg) 3 years
The Department has an R & D centre recognised by VTU. The Department offers Ph.D and M.Sc(Engg) by research programs. It is empowered by 5 research guides with rich industrial and academic experience. Presently 13 research scholars are pursuing their Ph.D at the center. The thrust areas majorly include Sensors, MEMS, VLSI Design, Image processing, Pattern recognition, Real Time Embedded Applications, Wireless Sensor Networks & Biomedical applications. Several years of research has resulted in a large number of publications in National & International Journals & Conferences.
• Ph.D. in ECE for full time is three to five years & part time is four to six years.
• M.Sc(Engg) by research is minimum three Years
• Research Center is recognized by VTU.
• Research guides =6, Total research students=12
• Research scholars awarded : PhD–05, MSc (Engg)-01
• The program involves Course Work, Comprehensive Viva, Open Seminars, Colloquium, Thesis Submission & Final Defence.
As per VTU rules
ELIGIBILITY FOR REGISTRATION to Ph.D
There shall be provision for the following categories of candidates for admission to Ph.D.:
- Full-Time: Candidates to pursue Ph.D. research on full time basis shall also include QIP/FIP scholars and those belonging to Integrated Degree programmes such as M.Sc.(Engg.) by Research/(Full-Time) M.Tech.
- Part-Time: In-service candidates having a minimum professional experience of one year after their PG Degree from among the regular faculty members working in any Engineering College /Polytechnic / University / Deemed to be University (recognized /accredited by appropriate bodies in India) or research staff of public / private organizations shall be eligible to pursue Ph.D. research on a part time basis.
- Integrated Degree: Students registered for M.Sc.(Engg.) by Research(Full- Time)/M.Tech./M.Arch, may be allowed to upgrade to Ph.D. as applicable on a case by case basis.
- Distance mode: Candidates with MBA and MCA Degrees obtained through distance mode from UGC/DEC approved institutions may be allowed to register for Ph.D. as per UGC/AICTE norms on condition of two years teaching/research experience after completion of their PG Degree award.
ELIGIBILITY FOR REGISTRATION to M.Sc (Engg) by Research
Admission to the M.Sc (Engg) by Research Course shall be open to candidates who satisfy any of the following requirements:
- Candidates who have passed B.E. / B.Tech. Examination of VTU or B.E. / B.Tech. of any other recognized University, recognized by this University as equivalent thereto or any other examination recognized by this University as equivalent thereto and have passed the prescribed qualifying examination with not less than 60% of the marks in the aggregate, in the examinations of the semesters considered for the declaration of class/grade. However, a relaxation to the extent of 10% shall be allowed for candidates belonging to SC/ST and any other category as notified by Government of Karnataka from time to time;
- Teaching / Research Staff / Teaching Assistants, working in any Engineering College and Polytechnic Institutions recognised by AICTE either in the State of Karnataka or outside, who have passed B.E / B.Tech. Examination and put in a minimum of one year of teaching experience in Engineering Colleges / Research Organizations and sponsored by the respective Institutions / DTE in case of aided institutions;
- Employees of the State Government/Central Government/Quasi Government Organizations/Public Sector Industries/Reputed Private Industries, who have passed B.E./B.Tech. Examination and put in a minimum of one year of working experience and are sponsored by the concerned Organizations;
- Awardees of research fellowship by nationally recognised bodies like CSIR etc., provided they have B.E. / B.Tech. Examination and put in a minimum of one year of working experience;
- NRI/FN/PIOs who have passed the B.E. / B.Tech. or equivalent examination recognised by VTU as equivalent to UG Engineering Degree Programme, with medium of instruction in English or qualified TOFEL/ELTS. Such candidates shall be able to communicate and to submit the synopsis of Dissertation work in English language
In addition to the above, the candidates shall be qualified in GATE or equivalent National Level within the immediately preceding five years or in the University level Research Aptitude Test, the result of which shall be valid for a three-year period.
The candidates who have successfully completed this course have vast career opportunities in various fields of engineering.
They can get jobs in government owned organizations/ PSU’s such as Bharat Heavy Electrical’s Limited (BHEL),Electronics Corporation of India Limited (ECIL), National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC), Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) & in Private Sector/ MNC’s such as Texas Instruments, Intel, AMD, CISCO, IBM, Samsung Electronics, Sony.
Teaching is also an option for them; they can become Professor/Associate Professor/Assistant Professor in colleges and universities after fulfilling UGC guidelines.
Why BNMIT for this course ?
The Department provides state-of-the-art facilities like well-stocked libraries, laboratories with all technical equipment, and computer systems and research cenre with required hardware & software facilities for research work.
Library of the college & department has a collection of books, magazines, journals, e-Journals and other useful databases. Facilities for internet browsing and e-services are also available in the library for the convenience of students.
The faculty members/guides of the Department have expertise in their respective areas and are ready to share new knowledge and experience to each student so that they can make their future bright.
How to Apply ?
• The University shall call for Applications for registration for PhD/ M.Sc (Engg) in the months of June/July of every year..
• The candidate shall submit his / her application for registration to the University in the prescribed form along with other necessary documents (viz., degree certificate, marks cards of all examinations, employers’ certificate and no objection certificate from the employer, consent of the Guide)to the Head of the Institution where the candidate intends to do research. Online submission of documents are mandatory.
• The Head of the Institution shall forward the application of the candidate along with the Bio-Data of the Guide, his/ her degree certificate and list of Research publications to the University. In case of employed candidates, no objection certificate from the employers for pursuing research shall be necessary.
• The candidates have to clear in a common entrance test for Ph.D/ M.Sc (Engg) ,that would be normally conducted during August month.
• The candidates who clears the entrance exam has to present the synopsis of the proposed research work to the scrutiny committee.
• The selected candidates will receive the information about Ph. D/ M.Sc (Engg) registration confirmation from the university.